Statcounter

Boot Key, Marathon - January 21st

Monday, January 20 -21st

We were excited to arrive in Marathon as we were hoping this to be a very boater friendly location.  Boot Key has a very large boating community and we are in need of getting laundry caught up.



I put out a request for some local knowledge regarding laundry facilities on the Boot Key Facebook page and learned Marathon City Marina is the only location around with facilities.  Ok, we have 5 loads (over two weeks worth) to get cleaned up so off to the marina we went.

We got to the office to find out what the deal was and were informed that to access any of the facilities, laundry, showers, garbage drop, pump out, you had to pay a daily dinghy dock fee of $22.00, then it was going to cost $3.00 per washer load and $3.00 per dryer, for a total of $30.00 for my 5 loads of laundry on top of the dock fee.  Folks, let's do the math ... that's $52.00 to get my laundry done.  We decided to take a pass on that "deal".  We'll wait for the next stop and meanwhile get out the bucket and hand wash a few essential items.  I've already done that once along the way so I guess I can do it again.  And let me just mention, $3.00 per machine is double what we've paid anywhere else along this entire trip.  I guess you have to expect to pay more for things in the Keys but I'm sorry, $22 bucks to land your dinghy is modern day piracy!   It seems it's like that for everything down here and we're already looking forward to getting back to a more normal world. Turns out "Paradise" is an expensive place to hang out in.

7 mile bridge at the western entrance to Boot Key. You can see the old bridge behind the new one.

No comments:

Post a Comment